Monday, January 17, 2011

Oh, I should be sleeping...

After dropping Chloe off to school it was my plan to come home and take a nap. I know, napping in the morning, sounds a bit crazy. However, I was up most the night hanging out with this annoying cough. Just when i was about to nod off to wonderland, cough - CoUgH - COUGH!! This cough is like a used car salesman who cannot stop talking, a telemarketer calling at super time and a snoring husband all wrapped up in one! It doesn't know when to stop, comes out of nowhere and bothers me the most at night! Plus it is interfering with my P90X

I don't need any more excuses to quit - I have enough of my own. I mean why can't working out everyday just be easy - I am not gonna lie, I was getting to where I enjoyed the "me time". Yesterday I did Plyometrics - the jumping one - by choice! Oh yeah, I chose to jump around, jump around, jump up, jump up, and get down. Sorry a little throw back to old school rap. I like this workout because in addition to the nauseating amount of squats, we do moves like the Heisman, Jump Shots, Rock-n-roll jump and Monster tires. Interesting fun moves like these are what make P90X bearable and kinda fun. No, I am jumping aboard the exercise bandwagon - I am not a groupie yet - just curiously intrigued by what I don't mind doing in the workouts. 

So, I have been thinking about Chloe and her view of health at 5 years old. I love the fact that she knows the difference between a healthy and an unhealthy snack. I am glad that she doesn't feel the need to ask to get an apple or a cheese stick but will always ask before eating junk food. There have been many instances when she chooses healthy over sweets. She also knows what fat is, she knows I am fat. I know the word FAT sounds harsh and some may think I should teach her to say overweight but really what are we carrying around? what are we trying to replace with muscle? what do we want to lose pounds of? fat - Fat - FAT! So I let her say fat. Do I let her call people fat in public? No, I am not going to sacrifice politeness.  One day she told me she didn't want to be like me, she wanted to be healthy when she grows up and not fat. Initially this hurt my feelings, I don't know why because I don't want her to be like me either, I want her to love being active and to strive to be fit and healthy.

My favorite thing about doing P90X is when Chloe joins in when I am doing a workout. She is also a bit of an accountability partner, even though she doesn't realize. Yesterday we stopped at the donut shop and I made some poor choices, two to be exact; one jelly filled and one chocolate iced with bavarian cream. I did eat them at different times in the day but it was Chloe that reminded me, "Mom, you will have to do your exercise if you eat that donut". She was right, I really did need that workout but the workout did not need that jelly donut! Combined with the cough it was the hardest workout I have had yet. 

Advice from various people (including my Mom) have encouraged taking a few days off to allow my body to fight off whatever is attacking it and heal properly. Buuuuuut, if I stop for a couple days there is very little chance I will get back on track. So I will continue to do my best one day at a time and take extra care of my body in hopes of ridding myself of this cough. 

What about you?  Any low impact workout ideas? Any remedies for a cough that doesn't know when it has overstayed its welcome? It's hard to rest when you cannot get any sleep. But I will continue to work against these obstacles so that I might someday actually be...

The Incredible Shrinking Bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment